Monday, August 5, 2013

Springboarding in head first!

So at the beginning of June, I had the incredible beyond incredible opportunity to attend a program put on by the American Theatre Wing (creator of the Tony Awards) called "SpringboardNYC." I mentioned my audition for this program in an earlier blog post, and I am pleased to say that I got in aaaaaand it changed my life (it feels like it, anyway). While I cannot take the time to explain to you all that we experienced during those two weeks, I CAN explain a little bit. :)


This scripture verse has never rung truer than in these past couple months of post-grad life. I have no idea what I'm looking for or what's in store for me, but my summer experiences have been made so much sweeter in knowing that I have someone pretty powerful laying out my path. My biggest prayer & greatest security for this trip was this statement I wrote in my journal (I know, I've become a journaler AND a blogger - what is my life?!) - "I can feel free to dream a little trusting that my God is big enough to do it, but thankful that He's kind enough to mold it into what's best for me - and for the person He's shaping me into." {see Proverbs 19:21}

So let's do a "who did I get to meet" session:
  • We had the UNBELIEVABLE opportunity to do meet & greets with some of the most amazing people in our industry - among the actors were Alan Cummings (holy precious accent), Oliver Platt, Laura Osnes & Jenna Fischer ("The Office").
  • Among the incredible creative peeps were William Ivey Long (chairman of ATW), Jack O'Brien, Thomas Schumacher (prez of Disney Theatrical), and Diane flipping Paulus - the now award-winning director of "Pippin" (thank you, Diane). 
  • So I'll stop there before you all want to kill me - out of jealousy or disbelief that I actually just listed that many names.
  • Oh wait. and TOM FLIPPING HANKS
    • So that was neat.
The other neatest of all neat things was the fact that we had the privilege of attending both the Tony Awards Dress Rehearsal AND (drum roll...) THE REAL THING! The 67th Annual Tony Awards!


So, there was our night! And the funny thing was that I couldn't have even anticipated how magical the Tony Awards dress rehearsal was going to be. Don't get me wrong - I LOVED the real deal (I mean, I'm a thespian, right? That word... ;) but it is a SHOW! A performance! And to watch the behind-the-scenes and see all of these beautiful [incredibly famous] people practice and let down their hair a little bit was just, ah, magical. Who did we see at the dress rehearsal, you ask? Among them were Neil Patrick Harris (duh), Sally Fields, Patti LuPone, Bernadette, Anna Kendrick, the casts of Newsies, Matilda, Lion King, and so many more... it was heaven! And at the show, many of our own Springboarders saw - and even SAT by - David Hyde Pierce, Jake Gyllenhaal, Nathan Lane, Billy Porter & Cyndi Lauper! And they were all just part of one big, supportive community! 

And did I mention we were seat-fillers? Our job was to fill any seat that was left open by an award-receiver, a bathroom-goer or a no-shower (that's a no "show"-er, not a no "shower" as in they forgot to bathe). What a night! So several of us were running around and filling seats like crazy during every commercial break, whereas some of the fortunate few (ahem, me) ended up sitting towards the front & center, and never got replaced! I had a free ticket to the show! Next to gray-haired men with many hilarious opinions - so we naturally assumed they could only be one thing - producers. ;) 

We couldn't believe that after this unforgettable night, we still had another week of class awaiting us! And we were thrilled! The next morning, all we could do was verbally (what's another word for "upchuck"?) everything we had seen, heard & experienced, and how a part of that community we felt. And let me tell you, that's a great feeling. Later that week we got to meet Diane Paulus and see her Tony-award winning show "Pippin" - along with Matilda and A Trip to Bountiful. We were spoiled. And we didn't mind.

playbillz
Getting to experience all of these shows with people who are equally as passionate about theatre (but not obsessive about their "craft") as you are was actually pretty unreal. I grew to appreciate theatre and understand its power more than ever before. I cried several times! ... I never cry! I recommend this program to everyone with a passion to pursue a life in this industry & the ability to do it. There is so much more to theatre than just promoting your own talents or getting caught up in yourself. It's about other people! It's about having meaningful conversations with your audience AND your cast mates. It's a unique opportunity & a special privilege that not everyone gets. And I feel blessed that God chose to let me find my passion in this crazy, theatre-ey world. 

Well, anyway, that's my soapbox. (Who gave this girl a blog?) I'll probably end up talking more on this trip later ... WHEN I ACTUALLY MOVE TO NEW YORK IN 23 DAYS. (What? Yes.) Til then, here are some more pictures from my two summer trips to the big apple...



My adorable mom & my lovely sis [err, one of the two] came with me!
And this adorable couple we saw on the subway.
I can only assume they were on their way home from a perfectly fabulous night at the jazz club. ;)
love her;) 


cheers for making it this far,

k-mart

0 comments :

Post a Comment