Saturday, September 7, 2013

And On The Seventh Day...

...the Lord allowed us some REST. Can I get a PTL? Holy smokes. I don't even know where to begin, nor do I know how many blog posts it's going to take. So let's start...at the end! I'll let you know where we are NOW & get into the shambley deets later.

Guys. We made it.



Starting last Thursday morning at 6:15am, my dad & I began our 24-hour journey from Colleyville, TX, to Manhattan, New York. (Can I just take a sec to say that my dad is getting a "dad of the year" coffee mug for like the next 12 years?) So roundabout 7pm, we pulled into Nashville, TN - that was a good moment. My dad got settled in his hotel, and I waited anxiously in the lobby as my best friend - Mrs. Molly Bolton - and her husband (HUSBAND? Crazy.), Jeremy, picked up my dad & I and took us to an out-of-this-world burger joint called The Pharmacy. I then spent the rest of the night basking in the preciousness of their newlywed home (Jeremy built their headboard, table, bench & coffee table. What? I know, whatever.) & catching up after what seemed like years of separation from Molly Kat.



(My little 5-foot bundle of best friendliness.)

The next morning around 6:45am, Moll handed me a cup of coffee & a batch of cookies (H-O-M-E
M-A-K-E-R), & dad & I were on our way! After one Waffle House trip of heavenly waffledom and about 5 hours of dad's "secular oldies" tunes later, we made it to Dixie's Cafe in Virginia!



(No, Texans, this isn't heaven...this is called "the Northeast.")

Then, about 7 hours of my song choices [and more of dad's Amy Grant & Bread albums] later, we made it to Gabriella's Italian restaurant in Pennsylvania. The preceding conversation went something like this:

"Dad, are you sure we're dressed nice enough for this place?"
"Ha! Kelsey, in this 'seedy' area? I'm pretty confident we'll be overdressed..."

Right. Who knew Gabriella's Italian Ristorante was THE birthday/anniversary/celebratory dinner location of Harrisburg, PA. Well, after about 5 seconds in the door, WE sure did. I have never felt so out of place. I had to go in the bathroom & put my hair in a somewhat coiffed bun situation just to feel like I was high class enough to order off the appetizer menu. I then came back to my dad talking on his CELL PHONE to my mom. At the table. I was like...yes, let's draw more attention. But anyway.

(Not pictured: dad's camo cargo shorts. I won't even show you what I was wearing.)

With about three hours left to go, we passed through PA & New Jersey (where, HELLO, they pumped our gas! In fact...if I'm not mistaken, it is illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey. Thanks a lot, Texas;) Then around 11:30pm, our night really began: we entered Manhattan, New York. I will never be able to relay to you - on social media or otherwise - the stress that entered my life when our Penske truck crossed the New York state line. I'm typically a pretty cool-headed navigator, but having to guide my dad through New York without letting on that we were "recalculating" every 4.5 seconds officially removed - WITHOUT question - at least 3 years from my life. And don't even get me started on the $13+ TOLLS. People, you ain't seen toll prices til you've driven a truck through the Lincoln Tunnel. (We tried to take a second to enjoy the "Elf" references involved in crossing thru the Lincoln Tunnel, but there was far too much stress involved for me to even relish in that moment. Sorry, dad.)

But just so you know - if you don't have enough cash for the tolls, you can pass through & get billed later. Boy, do I wish that completely common-sensical thought had passed through my brain as I frantically searched my bag chanting, "This is not good! This is not good!" Again, sorry dad. But just you know, saying "It's gonna be okay, Kels!" does not automatically translate in my mind to "We can just get billed later!"

You can never be too specific, people. ;) 

But anyway, we made it! We made it, we made it, we made it. Due to my dad's increasingly aggressive driving habits, I've always promised myself I will only marry a man who is "cool" behind the wheel. But I will say... I have never appreciated my dad's driving skills more than on this trip. He navigated those Times Square streets (yes, a Penske in TIMES SQUARE at midnight) with more grace & skill than I could've dreamed. If we're gonna be honest here... I think my dad was made for the driving streets of NYC. But alas, twas a short-lived reign of glory.


We finally arrived to our Pan American hotel in Queens (I'll spare you the details of the "where do we park this beast" saga ... never a dull moment), said a prayer of THANKS that we were still alive and slept a sweeter sleep than I had in months. 

"So, Kelsey, were you even happy?"

Okay, now that that's over, I know it sounded like a roller coaster... but I have to tell you, this road trip was one of the best things we could've ever done. I had such a good time! I do have a good relationship with my dad, but there's still something to be said about sitting in the cab of a truck with your dad for 24 hours, listening to his music & hearing about what moments in his past made those songs hold so much importance. I know I'm a pretty outgoing individual and love a good chance to talk, but a lot of the time I am much more at ease when I can get someone else talking for awhile and I just get to sit and listen (you might notice me doing this with you every once in a while;). And that's what this trip was like for me. And honestly, it's probably the best thing that could've happened to my dad and my relationship before I left home for good. And for that, I am so so thankful!

So anyway, the rest of our weekend trip was spent looking around with my dad at my new 'hood, imagining how many times I'd get coffee at Lenny's (my FAVORITE coffee shop when I was here for Springboard) & the 84 surrounding Starbucks's (Starbuckses? Whatever.), and then finally taking dad to SHAKE SHACK. Which is a whole half block from my place. #Danger.



Literally popped his collar. MY dad. You gotta do
what you gotta do to avoid that sunburn;)

We ended the night at a delicious restaurant overlooking 3rd ave called Anassa Taverna - aka, my last nice dinner for awhile ;) and then headed back to the hotel to catch the end of the Baylor game (SIC 'EM) & a couple episodes of "King of Queens" ... we watch it every night, but it's a lot more exciting when you're actually in Queens!

Dad headed off to the airport at 5:30am the next morning, and just like that, I became a full adult! But boy, did I have a DAY ahead... "Move-In Day."

(These were happy post-move-in tears...if you can believe it.)

I'll save ^^ that story and SO MUCH MORE that has happened this week for next time! Hope you made it through this one;) And thanks for reading!

Your "finally-a-new-york-blogger!",
Kelsey

All the states we saw! A combo of stress & nighttime caused us to miss the
New Jersey & New York signs... but we'll have other chances. ;)

2 comments :

Molly said...

hey kels! i got this link through tiff on facebook and have been reading through your blogs this afternoon. i am excited to follow your journey and see your (undoubted) successes unfold :) thanks for letting me read...
molly (tatko) garley ;)

Anonymous said...

This is so fun to read your blog. Thanks so much for the great trip with you! You made me smile and laugh and even cry a little! Prayers to you and your new adventureous journey. Love you, jeannie ware

Post a Comment