Saturday, August 3, 2013

Summer without sweets? That's a myth.

Mom & I are trying to get healthy & slim ourselves up. Lean is what we're calling our goal. But when I think of summer, I literally almost only think of one thing: food. (I wish I could call that an exaggeration...but I am learning that my obsession goes a little too far outside the norm.) I think of hot dogs, cakes with American flags on them, fruity drinks, oreo desserts, homemade ice cream...I even think of CHEESE FRIES. Heaven help me if I can ever allow myself to eat those again.


I owe the top right recipe to "Pick Your Plum" and the middle two to the precious Christie McCabe over at Daily Dose of Sweet - follow this blog! Cutest cakes/cookies/cupcakes you'll ever see. (And she's a Baylor Bear, sic 'em! :) And for the cheese fries...Outback deserves all the credit. Tell me those don't make you just DIE...in the best way.
And then there's that. Okay, okay...so salads don't all look that bad (sorry, Cici's), and maybe I actually kind of love salads. But they're no competition to cheese fries! So my mom & I took it upon ourselves to start attacking our diet head-on thanks to Chocolate Covered Katie - a "healthy" dessert blog. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Exhibit A - The Coconut Breakfast Cake:

                                      

Holy smokes. Recipe Here. Don't punish yourself...by avoiding this coconut bread of dreamy goodness. And less than 70 calories per serving! This is not a drill - girl's a genius! Or as Franck would say:

(I'm a Father of the Bride fiend...in the best way...meaning, I love it.) FINALLY, drum roll please, Exhibit B - the deep dish chocolate chip cake that's HEALTHY?! 
Recipe Here. She even tops it with her own healthy "ice cream"! Guys, don't tell your party guests, but this cake has no flour, less than 1.5 cups of sugar, no butter & no eggs...but it does have chickpeas. Yes, I KNOW. I hate chickpeas, & I'm not a huge hummus gal, but I'm telling you - this stuff is indulgent. Even without a food processor! (The blender was tricky & took some time...but it eventually did the trick.)
So here's to staying healthy this summer while only occasionally spoiling yourself with one of these ^ ... and no one has to know you're actually slimming down all the while. ;)

                                             

But hey, nobody's perfect. ;) C'est la vie!
Cheers! Your wannabe health counselor,
Kelsey

0 comments :

Post a Comment